Thursday, August 12, 2010

Maybe 4th Times A Charm???

I haven't blogged about the insemination process in a while because there really is not much to report.

June, we totally missed detecting the ovulation...Lord only knows why....I just didn't track anything that month.

July was our third go around. It just so happened the day we had to ovulate was the day we had family coming over...too funny!

We were already up and going in the morning, getting the house ready for our guests, and the package arrived. I hurried to the bedroom, performed my own insemination rather quickly, and went about with the rest of my day. Nothing too special at all.

One thing I have discovered that I'd like to share. For those who get squeamish over too graphic of details, you may want to stop reading...

Originally, the insemination plan was to use a normal medicine syringe (without the needle), load it with the stuff, insert, and inject. Sounds simple enough right? The problem we were running into was the "stuff" kept running out, or overflowing. I tried the recommended methods of propping my bottom up while propping up my feet, pulling my legs towards my chest, but nothing seemed to work well. I felt that this was causing a problem, maybe the "stuff" wasn't going where it was suppose to. I did research into finding a way to keep it in place as long as possible, without the disgusting 'dribble' effect that we were experiencing. One expensive, time-consuming method is getting a cervical cap which has to be fitted by a doctor. No time or money for that. The alternative is a bit strange when I learned of it, but seems to be very effective. It's called Instead. It's supposed to be used in the place of tampons or pads during your menstrual cycle. I, personally, would NOT want to use it instead of tampons, but I can see how someone may prefer this method of menstrual 'containment'. It provides a barrier to catch menstrual flow, and is sort of a soft cup. It is perfect for holding in the "stuff" we don't want to leak out.

My method of using this is probably not one that is recommended by the manufacturers of Instead, but I will share it anyways. I'm sure many will cringe, but this is helpful information for those trying to conceive, like us.

I did this over the toilet, as to not allow anything to spill anywhere else. I took the little instead cup, and filled it with the "stuff", then folded it closed, kind of pocketing the "stuff" in it, then inserted it into place.
After that, no matter how I move or what I do, nothing is going anywhere! At that point, there are several things you can do to insure a good chance of insemination, like prop your bottom and legs up, and of course, 'exercises' to make sure it flows where it should.


So now we just wait, hope, and pray that it works and the "stuff" does it's job!





***by the way, those are not pics of me.....lol

1 comment:

  1. I've heard of those cups as well, but never considered using them for those purposes. Good luck guys!

    ReplyDelete